Friday, May 14, 2010

Our Trip to Sicily!


Senior year of college Sara and I went on a three week j-term trip that our school was offering to the island of Sicily and it was one of my favorite things I have ever done. It was a credit class, but we tried to make it as little about class as possible. I mean, we are seniors, we have that whole school thing down, right?

So we did as little as possible, and played our lives away exploring the cities. Our teacher HATED how his class was not our number one priority and thought we were such idiots, but the funny thing was with how little we tried we got the best grade in the class! In the end he warmed up to us because he could see that while we came off as two crazies that just wanted to have fun, we were obviously still absorbing something. See? Why waste your time studying when you can get an A and still focus on other things like site-seeing and drinking?!?

So the first week, we were in the beautiful city of Taormina! Seriously, go there if you ever have the chance. It is so gorgeous it looks like a set straight out of a theme park or movie. That week we took Italian and just took in the city! We happened to be there for New Year's and it was a blast to see the difference between there and here. They don't even start going out until after midnight and stay out until about 8 am. It was so great. We def. stood out because it was 50ish at night so us midwest girl's go out in these short dresses and tank tops thinking it is pretty warm for a night out and they are all wearing winter coats and mittens. They def. knew we weren't locals, haha!

The second and third week we were in Saracusa, which is a much bigger city surrounded on 3 sides by ocean. This was also an awesome place to visit, and we had our own little four person villas for the two week stay. It was awesome! We took History of Sicily so we would go on different day trips to some of Sicily's most popular attractions. We went out almost every night here, and made "good friends" with this creepy old Italian guy who owned a bar who kept trying to marry us off to his relatives, but at least we got lots of free drinks! This is where my hatred for gin stemmed from, they love it and all I can think of is Christmas tree, uggghhhh...Let me tell you bus trips weren't fun the next morning though, we wanted to die! Worth it though :)

Here are some pics...





Go on any great trips with your best friend? Been to Sicily? Can't wait to go on more trips with Sara (mabye we'll let the guys come to-if they are good :/ lol)

Hope you lovelies have an awesome weekend!!!
xoxo
Kelly

16 comments:

  1. how fun! I would love to go there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend and I went on a very similar trip to Italy for 6 weeks during the summer. We got credit for two classes but really just wanted to go to Italy and have fun! Our professor was pretty cool but it was obvious everyone else was in it for the classes for their major except us. It was such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks beautiful and fun! I want to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing!!! My dream is to go to Italy and Greece. My family is from Italy and it would be an amazing adventure. How much fun to do that with your best friend!!
    Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how fun! when my best friend and I were Juniors in high school her parents took us on a 10 day bahamas cruise. We had a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a gorgeous trip! I'd love to experience something so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so fantastic! Btw, I also think of Christmas trees when I smell gin - blech.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing thing to be able to do together! I can totally picture you teacher being like FOCUS please this is important, haha! Not quite as important as trips with best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! How fun. Trips with friends are the best because it seems like they are completely carefree. Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous photos. I would LOVE to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful place. And I love the name of your blog! ha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always said gin tastes like pine needles.

    I've been to Italy, although not Sicily. I have had some amazing times in Rome, Florence, man how I loved Florence, and Tuscany. I did not have such an amazing time in Venice, but that's a story for another day.

    What great adventurers you girls are. Never lose that spirit no matter how old you get. My husband and I have 3 girls and they have traveled the world with us. They have been mule riding straight up the mountains of Yosemite. They have hiked the Grand Canyon with us. They have gone cave exploring with us and been to the jazz fests of New Orleans. They have learned a wee bit of French for our travels to Quebec and just a few weeks ago, we were all snowmobiling up the mountains of colorado.

    So, don't ever let anything diminish your spirit. In fact, pass it down to your kids when they come. You'll never regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhh, seeing your pictures and having watched "Letters to Juliet" on the weekend makes me want to hop on a plane to Italy right now! Cute blog, I love the name!

    Greetings from Canada

    Marie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful pictures! I've never been to Italy but, it's definitely on my list.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog ; )
    www.poolovesboo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete